Saturday, April 5

Structure

As I'm sitting here in my usual Starbucks, I look up. For the first time I really look at the actual construction of the building. It's a very log-cabin feel, it's very warm aesthetically, and it's painted in colors that appeal to many comfort zones.

Today, I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I know I'm stepping in faith. I know I'm loving through truth. But what am I looking for?

I had a great time with a great person last night. It was refreshing. You see, I'd met him at a Musician's Summit, and since then we've been concert buddies, not really talking much. Yesterday, we got that opportunity and it was such a blessing. He's sweet, he's funny, he's gorgeous, he's deeply involved in his faith, he's musically inclined, and he's just plain awesome. It was cool to finally get past the surface and into who he was. In return I am grateful I got to share parts of myself with him. I think it's a fair trade, no?

Anyways, back to structure. I believe that structure is a key part of life. I don't believe anyone can truly live a spontaneous lifestyle. That said there's definitely moments where being spontaneous is totally fine. Here, if that confuses things let's dig deeper.

Structure here is another word for boundaries, and it's just that, structure. When something has "structural integrity" that means that it's well built and that things are stable and secure. In my own heart I believe that people are truly happiest when there's a good base structure in their lifestyle. Take the celebrity way for example, there's no structure there, and just look at how lost they get. They don't have set rules, limitations, or anything vaguely like them. They are also proof-positive that failure is imminent without structure.

That said, there's always room to let the plans fall through once in a while and seek something more spontaneous. Because without that little bit of break in the routine, things get monotonous. They get dull. They get boring.

Yet, in the terms of a building, having the most strong, the most reliable, the most well designed structure is key. In teams, this is true. Having an extremely organized structure will give you the best success. Having no structure in a group setting will lead to failure because too many spontaneous moments happen and arguments and tension rises very quickly ultimately leading to the big implosion. Structure unlocks success, not prevents it.

I always sit here and wonder after I make a statement. Why does it arise? Why do I think the way I do? Then, in the midst of it all, I remember, I am designed to think like I do so that I can find the next piece of the structure that I'm building.

No comments: