Wednesday, January 13

Trying to fit in... and not doing it.

I've noticed a painful reality about the generation I live in, you know, the eighteen through twenty-five year olds that are currently walking around the United States of America. On some level we're all begging to fit in, desperately clinging to that new fad, or that new band, or that new hairstyle in hopes that by doing that, somehow, just somehow, we'll fit in. You know what's funny? By trying so hard to fit in, they stand out, like sore thumbs. Instead of actually being passionate about their new phone, or that particular artists music, or that hairspray they use for that up'do, they're passionate based upon their level of acceptance. Instead of embracing the beauty of whatever it is, they've sunken to a new materialistic low. Quite frankly, it drives people away, far away, because they're busy saturating their lives with Cobra Starship or the Pussycat Dolls just because they think it'll get them into the popular crowd. They think taking shots on a darkened dance floor will lead them to feeling included, but when that bar tab arrives the reality sinks in that they just spent a whole lot of money trying to impress instead of really finding that acceptance. I can't believe I did it too... It makes me sick... I'm moving on though. I've got a lot of life to live, and dwelling on failed acceptance, isn't going to get me anywhere.

1 comment:

pbell231 said...

AMANDA THIS IS SO TRUE. READING THIS SHOWS ALOT ABOUT YOU AND THE ACHIEVEMENTS YOUR COME TO. I'M AMAZED BY YOU. THANK YOU.